Beautifying the school grounds
A group of interested members gathered at the school grounds in order to make a beginning in beautifying the school grounds.Gordon Head Athletic Club minutes, March 17 1917
The young people of Gordon Head attended a one-roomed – and later two-roomed – school at the top of Tyndall Avenue. Ursula (Edwards) Jupp attended Gordon Head School from 1912 – 1915. This is how she recalled the school grounds: “At that time there was just half an acre in the front, later on when they built the two-roomed school they got another half acre at the back. Very rough that was too. Just where the stumps had been blown out, you know, it was a rough old place in my going to school time there.” Ursula’s description was typical for rural school grounds in British Columbia at that time. Here’s a photograph that appeared in the Forty-fourth Annual Report of the Public Schools of British Columbia 1914-1915:
The Gordon Head Women’s Institute was the first community group to begin improving the Gordon Head School grounds through school gardens. In Spring 1913, Women’s Institutes in British Columbia started to establish school gardening. “Realizing the benefits to the children, and through them to the community, from the cultivation of school gardens, and in response for requests for assistance for these, the Department (of Agriculture) issued collections of seeds – flower and vegetable – to schools making application for these through the Women’s Institutes.” (Advisory Board of Women’s Institutes annual report quoted in the Forty-Fifth Annual Report of the Public Schools in British Columbia).
In May 1913, the Gordon Head Women’s Institute heard a talk from Mrs. Hutchinson, President of the Royal Oak Women’s Institute (and future School Trustee) who “explained the idea of the school gardens as a help in educating the children, and in bringing the institutes and schools together.” Gardens were started at Gordon Head School. “On June 27, the closing exercises took place. At the same time, the school gardens planted by the children with seeds supplied through the Women’s Institute by the Department of Agriculture were judged, and the prizes donated by the president of the Institute and Miss Lister, teacher for the best-kept gardens, were awarded. (The Daily Colonist July 1 1913).
The Gordon Head Athletic Club next improved the school grounds by creating recreational facilities. In Spring 1916, they secured the approval of the Saanich School Board to built tennis courts on part of the school property. They got in the municipal grader and a team of horses to clear and flatten the soil. They built courts which the school children could use during the day (and they gave the school children a choice of whether to have both courts for tennis or one to be used for play). Read more in “Courts worthy of this District…”
In Fall 1916, the Gordon Head Athletic Club wanted to improve their property further. They started to investigate the possibility of planting trees on an “Arbour Day” and they wanted to get some expert advice. On November 20 1916, a committee was asked to “ascertain Mr. Gibson’s views on the cultivation of school grounds, if possible secure from him an illustrated lecture showing schools in many localities.”
J.W. Gibson was Supervisor of Elementary Agricultural Education, a program established in 1914 by the B.C. Department of Education with federal funding for 10 years to support rural agricultural values. While a large aspect of the program involved beautification of school grounds, a psychological goal promoted by Gibson was all-round education and community engagement, philosophies which the Gordon Head Athletic Club also shared.
Not only are they learning how to cultivate the soil and study the habits of seeds and plants, but to work together for the common good.Maria Lawson, The Daily Colonist, July 8 1917
On February 22 1917, Mr. J.W. Gibson showed the Gordon Head Athletic Club the possibilities for their rural school garden. Gibson’s talk was probably the same as this one given in March 1917 to the Garden City Women’s Institute: “…the school gardens in all stages of construction; the virgin land; the burning of stumps by burning and machinery; the first ploughing; and the beautifully laid out school gardens in full production….slides illustrating the beautifying of home and garden grounds and play grounds used all through vacations under proper supervision for exercises and educational games. All this, with Mr. Gibson’s well expressed descriptions, held the interest of his audience throughout.” (The Daily Colonist, March 11 1917)
Mr. Gibson showed clearly the cultural effect of school surroundings in pictures grounds before and after their improvement and inspired us with the desire to make the grounds about our own beautifully situated public school such a setting as was suggested us by pictures shown of other schools.Gordon Head Athletic Club minutes
At the close of Mr. Gibson’s talk, it was decided to hold an executive meeting and at once plan for work along the line Gibson had suggested. First, the school had to get some money to make a garden happen. At the Saanich School Board meeting on March 12 1917, Gordon Head was granted $50 for their garden. (The Daily Colonist March 13 1917). No doubt Club member and School Trustee G.F. Watson was instrumental in getting the grant. On March 17 1917, a group of interested Club members gathered at the school in order to make a beginning in beautifying the school grounds. “Mr. G.F. Watson undertook with Mr. Edwards and Mr. Aitkens to move the [flag] pole nearer school house in order to leave a clear play space in the centre. Captain Todd agreed to have the digging necessary taken care of. This was done. Mr. Somers was present to plough that portion of the grounds needed for a garden which work be thoroughly attended to. Messrs. P. McNaughton, Tucker, Edgar Vantreight, H.C. Dasher and others were helping to put the grounds to rights and at the close of a busy afternoon the men were called to the gym for tea prepared and served by Mrs. Watson and Mrs. McNaughton.”
Here is an account of the Gordon Head School garden in Spring 1919, when Maria Lawson of The Daily Colonist (an educator and long-time school garden supporter) spent a day visiting Saanich school gardens. (School Gardening in Saanich, The Daily Colonist, May 11 1919)
“At Gordon Head School we get a glimpse of the sparkling waters of the sea. No longer the adjective “bare” fittingly describe Saanich schoolhouses, much less the building, where Miss Williams and her assistant meet their pupils on Spring mornings. The borders are filled with Spring flowers of many colours and the air is filled with fragrance. A large bed of violets, which since earliest Spring have been laden with blossoms, shows that the gardens here have found a source of profit as well as of pleasure. City people eagerly bought the sweet flowers little hands had gathered early mornings or after school tasks were over.”
“Very proud are the teachers of the seedlings which prove beyond any doubt the excellence of the seeds they saved last season. All the beds of the vegetable gardens have been raked smooth and much of the seed has been planted. The pioneer work in which Miss MacNaughton and other teachers persisted in the face of many discouragements is over. The garden has been made.”
It is plain that the approval and assistance of the fruit-growers of this progressive district has been gained and that school gardening has come to stay.
“Here come the gardeners, trooping down the stairs and into the tool room, ready for a fine game of make believe. They are going to have their pictures taken. From the fair-haired sturdy little man of six, who carries the biggest, shiniest fork he could find, to the tall student, almost ready for the High School, all the students look as though they welcomed the summons into the sunshine. It took but a few minutes for arrangement and then before the most restless of the children had time to move the picture was taken.” (The picture taken that day is probably this one below that appeared in District Agricultural Supervisor H.E. Hallwright’s report in the Forty-Eighth Annual Report of Public Schools of British Columbia 1918-1919)
The Gordon Head Athletic Club’s efforts to improve its school grounds bore fruition. A few months after developing their expanded school garden, Gordon Head School saw success at the 1917 North and South Saanich Agricultural Fair, when they won 1st prize for the best collection of vegetables. The following year, at the 1918 Fair, they won 3rd prize for best collection of garden seeds (12 vegetable and 6 flower); the prize was a bench vise screw donated by agricultural supervisor H.E. Hallwright. In 1919, Gordon Head School students won a Rotary Club prize for seed production.
But more than prizes, the Gordon Head school children had developed positive attitudes for life. Maria Lawson ended her visit to Saanich school gardens with this observation, of which the Gordon Head Athletic Club would surely approve: “During the delightful drive it was learned that the school gardens are made for the benefit of the children solely. In them, it is believed, the pupils learn the value of self-control and co-operation. Valuable as is the knowledge gained of the processes of nature and useful as may be the slowly acquired skill of the pupil, the aim of the teacher is not to make efficient gardeners, but good men and women with greater capacity for happiness.”